Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent 2011:Relentless Acts of Justice

Yesterday was the first day of Lent. Let's be honest, I've never participated in Lent, but I live with a house full of people who participate. We were challenged to think about Lent, and to be in dialogue with God about participating and, if so, if there's something we should give up. My first thought was, "Great, I don't want to do this just because I feel like I have to." But, in praying about it, God told me that it's about alot more than just giving something up. And, more importantly, it's more about how we spend our time. So instead of giving up something like chocolate or soft drinks, I'm giving up my time. My time is much better spent with God--in reading His Word, in prayer, in journaling, in worship, in listening to His voice. There's going to be alot less Facebook and time wasted sitting in front of this computer!

So, now I share the challenge with you. Maybe you have never participated in Lent. Maybe you don't even know what the purpose of Lent is. But I challenge you to get with God and ask Him to use the next 40 days leading up to Easter to reveal Himself to you in new and fresh ways, and to prepare your heart for the Easter season.

I am using the World Vision ACTS Lent 2011 Guide. You can go there and sign up and they will send the guide straight to your inbox each week. The above picture is what the guide is focusing on this year...and I think it's going to be eye-opening and heartbreaking. I'm also very curious to see how God uses the topics (worthlessness, carelessness, helplessness, godlessness, speechlessness, hopelessness) to speak to me (especially considering I'm surrounded by all of those things on a daily basis here in Liberia). And, I might just be sharing with you over the next 40 days too!

No comments: