Monday, August 18, 2008

Red Letters: Chapter 10 (How to Bleed)

For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom. –Matthew 16:25-28

Ok, so the book’s subtitle is “Living a Faith that Bleeds.” You’re probably wondering what the heck that means….does it mean I have to die, or get wounded? No, not necessarily. Faith does require some sacrifice. But faith also brings life. “Living the Red Letters life is living a transformed life—a life where the needs of the poor and the diseased rank high on your “what’s important” list.” (see post on Chapter 8)

This chapter provides specific ways that you can get involved and make a difference in the world around you. It’s up to you how you want to respond, but the point is, do something.

Pray Daily. Commit to pray daily for those who live in poverty and live without hope. Pray for the orphans, widows and homeless. Pray for those suffering from HIV/AIDS.

Five for 50. This is a comprehensive plan to bring Chrsitians from all across the world together in solidarity with the soon-to-be 50,000,000 people living with HIV. There are 5 steps, each requiring alittle more sacrifice than the previous.
- Give 5 minutes a day to pray for those suffering from HIV/AIDS.
- Give 5 hours a week to fast for those suffering from HIV/AIDS.
- Give 5 dollars a month to the Five for 50 Fund to support worthy causes.
- Give 5 days a year to travel overseas to help alleviate poverty and suffering.
- Give 5 people an opportunity to join you on your journey.

I could do an entire post on each of these topics. But, I’m going to include things that are practical and, dare I say, easy. That might sound bad, but you have to start somewhere, right?

You probably know by now how I feel about prayer…its crucial! I am a firm believer in ‘going and seeing’. I encourage everyone to take a trip—go and walk and live among the poor. Find an organization that bleeds like you, and join them. If you need somewhere to start (and you bleed for orphans, but even if you don’t), I invite you to join forces with
Orphan Relief and Rescue! I invite you all to travel to Liberia—to experience life in a 3rd world country, to meet the children who have suffered through so much, yet still are filled with joy, to smell the smells, shake the hands of the beautiful people, to eat the food, to sweat (a lot!), to put your hands, feet, heart and wallet to good use!

Do like me, and start a blog. Share your stories, opinions and insight with others. Invite them to join you in living a faith that bleeds. Share with people what you’ve experienced. Raise money and donate it to one of the many fantastic organizations out there. Go on a mission trip, or support the missionaries who are living in the trenches. Change your living habits. Adopt a child. Learn as much as possible, and share what you learn with others.

Ok kids, it’s time to get up and get moving!!


1 comment:

Hannah said...

Hey Ashley. I can't remember if I commented on your blog before - totally spaced on this. But I've for sure seen it. I'm Hannah; I work with Tom Davis at Children's HopeChest. You're 25; I'm 25. You're a missionary I think; I was a missionary last year on the World Race. So, I wanted to write you and say hello. : )
Ashley, I pray you have an awesome little while left in the US and then a joyful return to Liberia! (If I said all this before in a comment that I can't recall, so sorry. : )
With joy,
Hannah
hannah@hopechest.org