Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!



[ The setting: Firestone. The player: me. The turkey day teams: dark meat (L) vs. light meat (R)]

If you're wondering what we're doing in Liberia to celebrate Thanksgiving...well, here's a recap of the day.

We took today off, and we decided to do something alittle different. We decided to go play 9 holes of golf at Firestone. Granted, most of us have only played a round of golf once or twice, but, it makes for a full day of priceless entertainment. We played a best-ball scramble, and made 2 teams--in honor of the Thanksgiving turkey that we wouldn't be eating, our teams were 'light meat' and 'dark meat'--based on the unplanned color of our trousers. [We're really scientific around here!] And, 5 hours later, we were still [almost] having fun! In all fairness, 'light meat' won by 4 strokes. After we finished, we sat down to our Thanksgiving meal of cheeseburgers and french fries in the clubhouse...which were pretty tasty!

On a more serious note, when you live in Liberia, and are surrounded by poverty, it's easier to grasp the concept of being thankful. I am SO thankful for SO many things! Actually, when I was in the shower thinking about what I'm thankful for, things didn't come to mind first, it was people. I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for my friends. I am thankful for my ORR family. I am thankful for my church family. I am thankful for all of the people who have walked beside me--whether it's been with prayer, finances, a word of encouragement, or just listening to my stories about Liberia. I am most thankful for a God who knows me and loves me, who will never leave me and always provides for me. I am thankful for all of the wonderful people in Liberia that I've grown to love...especially all of the children that make my days full of joy. After all of the people, then I moved onto the things. I am thankful for a roof over my head, food in my stomach and a safe place to sleep at night. I am thankful for clothes and shoes. I am thankful for my house and car. I am thankful for the opportunity to go to school and receive good healthcare. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to wish you all a happy Thanksgiving, and let you know that I am thankful for all of you!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I'm so proud of you....no not your golfing skills, but your heart.