Thursday, November 13, 2008

There Once Was A Boy...

...named Omito. He is quite possibly the cutest kid ever! I met him almost 3 weeks ago at Benson Hospital. He looked horrible...his entire was body was swollen and his skin was falling off. He and his mom shared a bed next to Gifty. The first time he saw us he was scarred, but then he started to warm up to the white people. Anyway, I have truly enjoyed seeing him every time I've gone to the hospital to visit Gifty. To watch his health improve, and to watch the kid inside slowly come out has been wonderful. He never says a word, but always responds by looking up at you with his big eyes, raising his eyebrows and does an 'I Dream of Jeanie' head boing (if that makes sense, haha). Now he smiles and laughs when we visit him.

Omito was discharged today!! I stopped by to say goodbye to him and his mom and spent some time playing. His mom gave us her phone number, and told us that they live by 15-Gate in Firestone...which is a good distance from here. I could tell that Omito knew what was going on, and so when it was time for me to leave, I shook his hand and said 'later on'. Man, I'm going to miss that kid!

1 comment:

Mrs4444 said...

What a beautiful blog you have (in more ways than one!) Just came over from Lena's place (trying to figure out how to add a header I made to a blog)...