Monday, December 12, 2011

12 Days of Christmas

I feel like this time of year is full of people counting. People are counting down until Christmas or the new year. Children are counting down until Christmas vacation. Others are 'counting up' with their Advent calendar. Maybe you're counting the gifts under the tree or items on your to-do list. This is supposed to be 'the most wonderful time of the year', but I find that alot of people are grumpy and stressed out! I hate to break it to you, but none of those things is what Christmas is about.

Christmas is about celebrating the birth of the Savior. It's about reflecting on His birth, grace, mercy and sacrifice. It's about being thankful. It's about putting others before ourselves. It's about helping, loving and giving...sometimes sacrificially. It's about spending time with loved ones--cherishing moments when you can all be together without watching the clock or being glued to the technology that we can't seem to put down long enough to share a meal and fellowship together. {oh, that's another post!}

I've been trying to come up with a way to countdown to Christmas that will not only remember the true meaning of Christmas, but that might also challenge you to think of others and to take a break from the grumpiness and experience some joy. I will tell you now, some posts might make you laugh, while others might make you cry or feel uncomfortable. I hope that you feel challenged, but that you also experience His love, hope and joy! I plan to include prayer and thanksgiving through stories of need and inspiration. A huge part of this countdown will be introducing you to some of my most favorite people in the entire world--the children of Liberia! And honestly, I haven't written anything yet...so we'll see where this journey takes us together!

Starting tomorrow, I'll be counting down...12 Days of Christmas style! I hope that you join me!

No comments: