Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Birthday--28!

A few weeks ago, I celebrated my 28th birthday. It was a great Friday full of favorites! And the celebrating continued on Saturday, too! Here's what my LIB birthday included...
I was greeted in the morning with breakfast in bed (cards from home, OJ and real cream filled Dunkin Donuts--previously frozen, imported and then thawed) while my teammates serenaded me with "Happy Birthday" (wish I had that on film) as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes.
I spent the afternoon baking with my FG girls. It took us about 3 hours to make 3 cakes...mixing everything by hand and baking on a fire...it's the LIB way! We had 2 cassava cakes and one coconut cake. The coconut cake was AWESOME!

And on Saturday, us girls went to the Ethiopian buffet for dinner--YUM! And then I got a big surprise! Deb handed me a key to our friend's suite at Kendeja (the nicest hotel in Liberia), and told me I had it for the night! WHAT?! Hot showers, electricity, running water, air-conditioning, peace and quiet, sleeping in as long as I want, a big bed with no mosquito net and a fluffy duvet to snuggle under.....PERFECT!

Snuggling up since I cranked the air way down...just because I could, and I wanted to make the most of the fluffy duvet. Fast internet meant I could steam IHOP's Prayer Room, and my mom's homemade salsa and chips for breakfast!

I was also able to Facetime with my parents for about 2 hours, so that was great too! I slept in until after 10am, took a second hot shower, enjoyed some more IHOP, did some reading and writing and then finally packed up and left around 4pm! It was a great birthday!

No comments: